Many of us let our heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems keep our homes at a comfortable temperature without giving them a second thought. When something goes wrong, you might have questions about your HVAC systems, especially if you:
- Experience a decrease in indoor air quality
- Experience a failure in heating or cooling
- Have an aging HVAC system that no longer performs as well as it did
- Have recently moved into a new house with an HVAC system
At Rock Valley HVAC in Janesville, WI, we can answer your HVAC questions. Read on as we answer questions that might prepare you to discuss your HVAC system with a technician or contractor. Whether you’re calling for routine maintenance, emergency repair, or a new installation, asking the right questions now can avoid costly repairs later.
Question #1: What Is an HVAC System?
An HVAC system consists of the:
- Heating elements such as a furnace or boiler
- Condenser and evaporator coil for cooling (see the differences between hvac and ac)
- Plumbing that carries away water from your heating and cooling system
- Ductwork that carries warm or cool air throughout your home
- Vents that control the outflow of air from the HVAC system
Each component of your system should be clean and free of dirt or debris. An HVAC technician should be qualified to repair and replace each component. Working with an HVAC company you can trust, such as our reliable team at Rock Valley HVAC, you can give your family the assurance of year-round comfort.
Question #2: Is My HVAC Installation Technician Qualified?
Due to the complexity of HVAC systems, an HVAC technician must be well-trained. Otherwise, they run the risk of mistakes that could damage equipment or, worse, cause damage to your home from soot, water, or fire. Protect the safety of your home and the health of your family by only working with a qualified HVAC technician from licensed and insured contractors like Rock Valley HVAC in Janesville.
Always be sure to ask any contractor for their contractor’s license and proof of liability insurance before working with them. The license ensures that the state’s licensing body has determined that the contractor is qualified for the work. Liability insurance ensures that they are covered in case an injury or damage occurs while they are repairing your HVAC unit.
At Rock Valley HVAC, our company has served Janesville, Wisconsin, for the past 25 years and earned an average 4.9 review score on Google. We have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. You can count on us to:
- Be professional and courteous
- Discuss your repair or installation in detail and answer your HVAC questions before starting work
- Stock quality parts and sell reliable, energy efficient HVAC systems
- Repair or install your HVAC system correctly—and stand by our work
Question #3: Does My HVAC System Need Repair or Complete Replacement?
In some situations, particularly with older HVAC systems or those with widespread damage, the cost of repair may exceed the benefits. In other cases, newer energy-efficient models might be able to meet your needs better than the ailing components of your current HVAC system.
If a representative or technician recommends replacement, ask them why. A professional should be able to present a cost-benefit analysis to you for both repair and replacement. They should be able to explain both alternatives in understandable terms.
One reason for replacing an HVAC system is if it no longer meets the capacity of your home. This scenario could happen after a home addition such as a room, a garage, or other structure to the home. Increasing the square footage that the HVAC must heat or cool places increased stress on the system.
You should not expect your compressor, furnace, or boiler to heat a home that is larger than the system’s original design. Otherwise, the overwork will shorten the system’s life and reduce the system’s ability to provide adequate heating or cooling to all areas of the house.
If you are considering upgrading your HVAC systems, we at Rock Valley HVAC can offer you options. Be sure to ask us, as well as other contractors:
- What brands does your company sell?
- Are you recommending a particular brand? If so, why?
- What is the seasonal energy efficiency rate (SEER) rate for each recommended appliance?
Question #4: What Is the Timeline for Work on the Project?
This question is particularly relevant for new installations and complex repairs. Simple repairs and routine maintenance can often occur in a few hours. Other servicing might take several days to complete and might include multiple service calls.
During the consultation for your project, be sure to ask your contractor:
- When will the project begin?
- How many service visits are necessary, and when will they occur?
- What happens during each service visit?
Question #5: Do I Understand the Contractor’s Quote?
Along with a clear timeline of service, an HVAC contractor should provide you with an itemized quote. The quote should include:
- Each specific service to be completed
- The cost of each service, broken down into parts and labor
- The cost of any subcontractors hired for the work
- Any additional taxes or fees
You should also ask about the terms of any warranty for the HVAC components and their installation. If a component fails, will they replace it at no cost? If there is an installation mistake, will they come back to your home and fix it?
Question #6: How Can I Extend the Life of My HVAC System?
Regular maintenance of your HVAC system in the spring and fall months can avoid expensive repairs by catching problems early.
Setting your HVAC system thermostat for a higher temperature during the summer and reducing the temperature during the winter months reduces strain on the system and potentially saves you money on your energy bill.
Do You Have More Questions? Call Us at Rock Valley HVAC in Janesville and Edgerton, WI
When interviewing HVAC contractors, if any of the contractors you speak with are not willing or able to answer these HVAC questions, consider finding a different HVAC company. If you are looking for HVAC services in Edgerton, please call us at Rock Valley HVAC at (608) 496-9993 for friendly and reliable service.